Title of Speech: Recycling Should Become Mandatory for Non-Biodegradable Wastes
Specific Purpose: To point out why recycling should become mandatory for non-biodegradable wastes
Central Idea: The advantages of making recycling mandatory
Why recycling is important
- Have you ever gone to a water source and found a lot of plastic materials suspending on the surface? The solution to the challenges is discussed in the speech.
- Have you wonder what will be done to the mountain made of waste materials that never decomposes? The answer is provided in this speech.
iii. The problem on how to dispose of non-biodegradable materials is a concern all over the world.
- Looking for ways to enforce mandatory recycling is relevant because most people including corporate have ignored the fact that non-biodegradable substance should not be disposed together with the other biodegradable wastes.
- From my experience, I have found out that non-biodegradable substances pose a lot of risk to life.
Transition: The speech first look into the main problems caused by the waste materials and then provides the solution to the challenge.
Thesis statement: In managing waste more efficiently, governments should make recycling of non-biodegradable waste mandatory and abolish their disposing of in the waste sites.
Benefits of recycling
- Non-biodegradable substances cause the following challenges to the environment and generally all living things.
- They pollute the environment with by production of toxic gases when exposes to sun temperatures for long (Freinkel, 2011).
- The waste sites are piled with mounts of materials that never decompose.
- They lead to contamination of the underground water.
- They pollute the ocean and sea water making the aquatic life difficult (Engler, 2012).
- The solutions to the above challenges include the following.
- Voting for laws making the recycling of plastics mandatory (Hopewell, Dvorak, & Kosior, 2009).
- Ensuring that every producer of non-biodegradable products take responsibility after sale and use by the end user.
- Recycling reduces the emission of green house gasses that would result if the substances were burnt.
III. The benefits of making recycling of plastics and other non-biodegradable materials include the following.
- Recycling of non-biodegradable wastes would reduce its amount in the environment and eliminate it in the long run (North & Halden, 2013).
- The volume of waste in waste lands would reduce.
- Landfills would be fully reclaimed if only biodegradable substances are deposited in the sites.
Non-biodegradable wastes compose most of the waste products in dump sites in many places of the world. The products take a long time without decomposing and affect the life of animals and human beings because of the toxic gasses produced. They pose a significant challenge for governments and environments because most of the standard waste management methods are not effective in dealing with them. Most producers of the products do not take responsibility for the waste because of the economic factors involved in the collection and disposal of the wastes. Therefore, for the government to ensure more responsible management of the wastes, making it mandatory to recycle the wastes can help.
Engler, R. (2012). The Complex Interaction between Marine Debris and Toxic Chemicals in the Ocean. Environmental Science & Technology, 46(22), 12302-12315. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/es3027105
Freinkel, S. (2011). Plastic (1st ed.). Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Hopewell, J., Dvorak, R., & Kosior, E. (2009). Plastics recycling: challenges and opportunities. Philosophical Transactions Of The Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 364(1526), 2115-2126. http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2008.0311
Le Guern, C. (2016). Plastic Pollution | Coastal Care. Coastalcare.org. Retrieved 11 December 2016, from http://coastalcare.org/2009/11/plastic-pollution/
North, E. & Halden, R. (2013). Plastics and environmental health: the road ahead. Reviews On Environmental Health, 28(1), 1-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/reveh-2012-0030
Welcome to originalessaywriters.com, our friendly and experienced essay writes are available 24/7 to answer all your questions. We offer high-quality academic essays written from scratch to guarantee top grades to all students. All our papers are 100% plagiarism-free and come with a plagiarism report, upon request
Find a tutor to help you with your papers!